“Close-Knit” Volunteers by Julianna Duva – University of Southern California

SUFknitting2

SUF Knitting Club: Maibritt, the leader (middle) with host moms and students

Volunteering  was one of the most enriching experiences during my time in Florence. I had the opportunity to make candles at a homeless shelter, work with felt at a retirement home, help students with their English homework, and knit with my roommate, other students and my host mom. Every experience was so beautiful because I was able to see a new side of the Italian culture that I totally would have missed out on had I not taken the time to volunteer for just a few hours during the week. My favorite activity was definitely knitting. I loved sitting and chatting with Elisa (my host mom) and Maibritt. These women are wonderful and I never stop laughing when I’m with them.

SUFknitting

Student volunteers knitting blankets for a retirement home in Florence

Another moment  that was particularly touching was when I went with Maibritt to a retirement home to turn in the quilt we had made. I met an English woman whose name was Florence. She was such a sweet woman and she gave me as much advice as she could fit into the short time we were together. I was very moved by this woman’s story of finding love in Florence and moving here to raise a family. I  wish that more students had taken the time to participate in some of these opportunities. All it takes is 2-3 hours a week, and it is well worth it!

VolunteerELDERstudentessa

Florence and me at the retirement home the day I gave her my blanket

For more information about the SUF volunteer program, contact Professor Vittoria Tettamanti (vtettama@syr.edu).

This entry was posted in Personal Stories and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.